About AMBAThe Association of Military Banks of America (AMBA) was founded in 1959. AMBA is a not for profit association of banks operating on military installations, banks not located on military installations but serving military customers, and military banking facilities designated by the U. S. Treasury. The association's membership includes both community banks and large multinational financial institutions, all of which are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
The Association of Military Banks (AMBA) is the only trade association representing banking institutions specializing in providing banking services for military personnel and their families around the world. AMBA has a long history of partnering with the Department of Defense for the benefit of military members and their dependents. AMBA’s membership includes large and small national and state chartered banks, most operating on military installations and all insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). AMBA represents the interests of banking institutions serving the military. AMBA serves as a liaison with DoD, Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS), Military Services, Treasury, FDIC, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), and its Office of Servicemember Affairs (OSA).
Our mission is to continue the close working relationship with the nation’s major banking trade associations, including the American Bankers Association and the Independent Community Bankers of America, and the federal banking regulators.
AMBA works closely with the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) which administers the overseas worldwide military banking program through a contract with Bank of America, one of AMBA’s member banks. AMBA helps the commercial banking industry maintain regulatory compliance with the Department of Defense.
AMBA sustains partnerships and relationships with many government and non-profit organizations that support military families, including the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau – Office of Servicemember Affairs, Department of Justice, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Federal Trade Commission, National Military Family Association, Military Spouse Employment Partnership, Military Officer’s Association of America, the Consumer Federation of America's Military Saves Campaign, BBB Military Line, and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Investor Education Foundation.
Benefits of an On-Base Bank
- Passion: Military banks are full-service financial institutions with experience in and a passion for serving the unique needs of military personnel and their families.
- Full service: Military banks do not limit their services to their customers; they provide services to customers and non-customers in the military communities they serve.
- Partnership: On-base banks partner with the commands and the military communities they serve by providing financial services and sponsoring community activities and programs.
- Financial education: Military banks are committed in their operating agreements to provide financial education to all base personnel and family members. This benefit is particularly important as Congress redefines military compensation and retirement benefits.
- Responsible lending: On-base banks engage in responsible lending by helping qualified service members and their families bridge occasional gaps between paychecks. As alternatives to predatory lending often available outside the installation’s main gate, military banks offer loans at reasonable prices and employ lending practices designed to improve borrower credit.
- Choice: All on-base banks provide military members, civilian employees, and their families a choice of financial service providers without requiring them to leave the base. This choice results in a healthy competition through increased availability of products and services, improved delivery methods, and more favorable prices for members of the military community.
- Command support: Most military banks are participants in the Treasury General Account program, through which they provide financial services to federal entities on the installation. These banks also store cash, thereby eliminating the need for on-base entities to transport their funds off-base.
- Convenience: Some military banks are located inside Military Exchanges and offer financial services during Exchange operating hours. Most on-base banks manage ATM machines that provide access to cash 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Support to the mission: Commercial, nonprofit, and other on-base accounts can be maintained at military banks. Alternatives such as personnel traveling off-base to perform these financial tasks potentially adversely impact their unit’s mission.
- Expeditionary: Military banks serve where our military serves. Whether through on-base banks in the United States or abroad or through electronic bank networks like the Armed Forces Financial Network (AFFN), military banks provide military members access to their money wherever they are assigned or deployed.
Our Member Banks
AMBA member banks serve the military community around the globe and are well-suited to help you with your specific needs as a military service or family member.View Our Banks
The Armed Forces Financial Network (AFFN) and the Association of Military Banks of America (AMBA)AFFN was founded in 1985 at the request of the U.S. Army in support of the "Surepay" direct deposit system, to provide U.S. Military personnel (active, reserve, dependents, and retired) with access to their funds through ATM and POS terminals at or near U.S. Military bases worldwide. AFFN's mission is to increase the versatility of participating financial institutions to better serve the U.S. Military. AFFN is co-owned by the Association of Military Banks of America (AMBA) and the Defense Credit Union Council (DCUC).
AFFN Military Community Support Program
The Armed Forces Financial Network (AFFN), in partnership with the Association of Military Banks of America (AMBA) and the Defense Credit Union Council (DCUC), has proudly supported the Fisher House Foundation and the individual Fisher Houses in Germany and the United States for the past ten years.
The AFFN Military Community Support Program has generously given back to the Troops and their families over $2,700,000.00 in direct support over the past decade.
The AFFN Matching Grant Program is in the 13th year of giving at the local military installation and community level by AFFN, AMBA Banks, and DCUC Credit Unions.
Since 2004, AFFN in partnership with AMBA Banks and DCUC Credit Unions, have awarded over 516 grants to support our military and civilian communities on a local level and on a global scale, directly benefiting military service members and their families worldwide.
The other component of the AFFN Military Community Support Program is the AFFN corporate contribution, made on behalf of all AFFN Participating AMBA Banks and DCUC Credit Unions. For the past thirteen years, the AFFN Board of Directors has unanimously approved the corporate contribution in direct support of military families staying at Fisher Houses in Germany and throughout the United States.
Since 2005, 12,242 military families staying at Fisher Houses worldwide have received over $612,100.00 in DeCA Certifichecks (2005, 2006) and AFFN Thank You Cards ((2007-2016) from the AFFN Military Community Support Program. Every dollar distributed has proudly assisted military service members, Veterans, and/or Military Family Members for care, comfort, and food while staying at a Fisher House.
For more information please visit www.AFFN.org